Bloated….who can relate??
These pictures are about 12 hours apart…..obv you can see the difference
Nothing major happened to make me bloat….it could have been a number of things….tiredness, stress, hormones, hydrated, something Ive eaten. digestive issues, water retention…..a lot of things can cause bloating.
This was painful though..I felt sick so I just went to bed and had a good nights sleep and woke up just like the other picture…
So if you get bloated please know its NOT unusual and your NOT alone…but we need to ensure we keep our eyes on it….and get to the root cause, because it just doesnt happen….I know mine was I was feeling really stressed and really all over the place.
If you bloat a lot….maybe keep a food diary and maybe journal your feelings and see how you feel and if there are any triggers!!
Youre not alone…but your also dont need to suffer
Magnesium…the Super Mineral
Magnesium is one (if not the) of the most important minerals to us….yet one of the most depleted. Without Magnesium there is NO body.
It is known as an energy nutrient as it activates enzymes that control digestion, absorption and utilization of Protein, Fats and Carbs….Diets that are high in Fat, Sugar and Salt not only make the body more deficient they also increase the need for magnesium, as magnesium is lost during the processing of BAD foods.
What exactly does magnesium do?
- *It is a co-factor in assisting enzymes in the body
- *It produces and transports energy
- *It is necessary for the synthesis of proteins
- *It helps transmit nerve signals
- *It helps to relax muscles
- *Promotion of proper bowel function
- *Action of your heart muscle
- *Proper formation of bones and teeth
Magnesium also plays a role in your body’s detoxification processes and therefore is important for helping to prevent damage from environmental chemicals, heavy metals and other toxins. Even glutathione, your body’s most powerful antioxidant that has even been called “the master antioxidant,” requires magnesium for its synthesis
With that in mind, some early signs of magnesium deficiency to keep an eye out for include:
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fatigue and weakness
Magnesium actually regulates 325 enzymes including transporting, storing and utilizing energy….and more importantly regulating metabolism and it mostly works inside cells, bonding with ATP to produce energy for the body.
Women have less magnesium than men, as they have fewer circulating Red Blood Cells, plus also deficiencies in pregnancy, breast feedings and PMS.
Calcium often gets a a “bigging up” BUT in theory Magnesium is necessary to maintain proper levels of calcium in the blood and it is known as natures calcium channel blocker…..as too much calcium in the body can cause calcification and disrupt cell function.
So if this is the case, I bet you are wondering WHY Doctors and medical professionals dont offer this…..well the answer is simple, Doctors study “disease” not “wellness” and it is simply ignore because there is no profit to be made from it…so therefore pharmaceutical companies wont do the research as there is no money to be made……SAD but unfortunately true….a lot of the medical world is based on ££££ and thats what they get from all the drugs that we are given…….DID YOU KNOW that drugs (ie painkillers and diuretics) further deplete the body of magnesium. Out of all the research that has been done….everyone agrees that magnesium is indispensable for health, disease prevention and all of life processes…but because it cannot be patented – there is no money to be made from it.
There’s some evidence that eating foods high in magnesium and other minerals can help prevent high blood pressure in people with prehypertension.
Intravenous or injected magnesium is used to treat other conditions, such as eclampsia during pregnancy and severe asthma attacks.
Clearly there is more to life than Magnesium, but life cant exist without it…..look at some of the more common issues below, Magnesium plays a role in much much more, but to talk about them all would turn this Article into a Dissertation
Magnesium, Anxiety and Depression
- Deficiency in Magnesium can produce symptoms of anxiety/depression..inc muscle weakness, fatigue, eye twitches, insomnia, apathy, poor memory, confusion and nervousness.
- Serotonin, the “feel good” brain chemical that is boosted my prozac, depends on magnesium for its production and function. Magnesium is important to Serotonin because it is involved in the uptake and release of serotonin by the brain
- Magnesium supports out adrenal glands, which are overworked by stress
- Anxiety/Panic Attacks are not due to a deficiency in Valium or Prozac…our bodies do NOT require these substances….but these are what is given from the Doctor….may doing this all you are doing is changing the addiction of sugar/caffeine to prescription drugs without looking at the underlying metabolic cause. Support often given is in the form of a prescription rather than Health and Lifestyle and Diet advice.
- Stress causes Magnesium Deficiency & lack of magnesium causes stress……touche??
- Each time we experience any kind of stress the magnesium stores are tapped into the create energy
Magnesium, Migraines and Pain
- Magnesium prevents platelet aggrevation, which helps avoid the thickened blood and tiny clots that can cause blood vessel spasms and the pain of a migraine
- Magnesium relaxes the head and neck muscle tension that makes migraines worse.
- Magnesium is responsible for balancing blood sugars
- If you have Magnesium deficiency and have a lot of aspartame intake, this can results in migraines.
- Magnesium regulates the action of brain neurotransmitters, which play a role in migraines when unbalanced
- Magnesium helps muscles relax
Magnesium & Exercise
- Magnesium is one of the most important nutrients athletes can take
- Magnesium reduces lactic acid, which causes post exercise pain
- Magnesium is lost during exercise
- Magnesium provides more energy
- Magnesium allows the body to burn fuel and create energy in an efficient cycle during exercise and doesnt lead to lactic acid production and build up
Magnesium and Obesity
- Magnesium helps the body digest, absorb and utliize proteins, fats and carbs
- Magnesium is necessary for insulin to open cell membranes for glucose
- Food craving/overeating can simply be because the body is in fact craving nutrients that are missing from processed food…you continue to eat empty calories and pack on the pounds, but you get no further ahead in any form of nutrients.
- Every Metabolic function in the body requires vitamins and minerals, without them…symptoms develop
- Sugar overload can cause Magnesium deficiency
- The refining of sugar actually shows a 98% drop in Magnesium
Magnesium, PMS and PCOS
- Chocolate, which some women crave, contains high amounts of Magnesium, but the added sugar and fat…dont really do us any favours.
- Magnesium deficiency can cause PMS…yet doctors prescribe Serafem (which is another name for prozac)
- Magnesium is a safe treatment for PMS and PMS headaches
- Treatment with magnesium eases headaches, sugar cravings and low blood sugar and dizziness
- Estrogen and Progesterone (female sex hormones) influence Magnesium levels in the body.
Magnesium and Nutrition
- Increase consumption of Green Veggies (arent I always saying this??), nuts, seeds, legumes and unprocessed grains
- Vegetables, Fruit, Protein rich foods.
- AVOID Fatty (bad), Sugary and Salty rich foods…all they will do is deplete magnesium further and further and make you feel worse and can then bring on all kinds of unknown medical conditions.
Check in with Yourself
Check In with Yourself
When was the last time you checked in with yourself?
When was the last time you asked yourself “how are you doing?”
When was the last time you checked in with your emotions and how you are feeling?
You see thats the thing, we dont….we are so busy checking everyone else is ok and worrying about others, we totally forget about ourselves.
Im not saying you shouldn’t care about others…because you should BUT what I am saying is what about YOU?? Why in the midst of everything do you forget about yourself??
SELF CARE – SELF LOVE
Its our god given right to be Selfish……its a form of self care and we all need to do a lot more of it.
The word Selfish is often seen as a negative word and associated with putting someone down “Oh how selfish are you”
I am here to dispel that myth……you should be SELFISH
You see being Selfish basically just means you belong to yourself….yep thats right “ish” is a form of belonging (just like when people say you are english…as you belong to england)
Everyday take time to check in with yourself…only takes a few minutes, be aware of how you are feeling, of your emotions and if there is anything you need to do to lift your energies and take your vibrations higher
If you cant even take a few minutes of your day for yourself….then how can you give to anyone else??
Focus on YOU
Check in with yourself…body and mind
Episode 2 of the Podcast
Episode 2 is now out:- https://anchor.fm/onebodyfitness/episodes/Rest-and-Recovery-eemh1n
This week I talk about Rest and recovery
You can also subscribe on Apple, Spotify and Google Podcasts
Whilst is is “always” important to stay hydrated (especially when exercising) it is even more so important during the hotter weather.
We are having (lucky us) some lovely weather lately…and its so important to stay hydrated when out in the sun.
Water can be boring? Anyone else agree…I dont really like plain water, butch the same time I wouldn’t ever drink flavoured water…..so I make my own and I wanted to share some little tips with you today.
Not only can these help you with your water intake, they are refreshing, can energise the body and are great for the skin – Oh and they taste YUMMY!!!
Next time you have some water try adding these in, when Im at home Ill make a big jug and keep in freezer and when i am out and about teaching I like to add to my water bottle.
These can all be added individually – or if you are feeling a little wild them mix em up….like a cocktail but without the alcohol and hangover haha.
Even if you are drinking during the nice weather….have some water with your drinks too to stay hydrated and prevent any nasty hangovers.
I love adding these to my water:
• Fresh Ginger
• Mint leaves
• A pinch of Himalayan Salt
And as I said you can also mix these up…like cucumber and lemon are lovely together and lime and mint is delicious
Stay hydrated but without the sugar laden drinks
Enjoy the sunshine
Get some Vit D on your skin Wear your sun cream
With the lovely weather we are currently experiencing, it felt kind of apt to write this Article…so I hope it inspires you to get out into the Fresh Air 🙂
Not only does it add vitamin to the skin but it also is great for the mind and the soul…being out in nature and fresh air and connecting back to the self is such a good way to not only help with physics Health but also with our Mental Health too.
Now I must firstly say if you are considering going out into the “Sun” please make sure you keep hydrated
So with all this talk of Sun, Fresh Air….may I present “Vitamin D” maybe not a Vitamin you are very familiar with, and this is because for so long Vitamin D has only really been used to prevent rickets……BUT NO Offence Vitamin C but Vit D may now be the bee’s knee’s as you body relies on it….so move over C and make way for D!!
Vit D also always used to be the “robin” the Calciums “batman” but this is all a change – Vit D actually encourages the absorption & metabolism of Calcium and Phosphate levels in Blood!
Vitamin D is a major player in overall Health and may be just what the doctor ordered. Vitamin D is the “Sunshine Vitamin”……but as we all are in the UK…we dont really see a lot of sunshine throughout the year (which actually explains why so many people suffer from SAD in the Winter) To Avoid getting SAD in the Winter make sure that when the sun is shining that you try and get out there and top up your Vit D stores….you never know when you may need them.
Anyways…here I am waffling on about how amazing Vit D is…..well incase you think its all BS…take a look at the list below:
- Boosts you Immune System
- Can be obtained from Sun, Food and Supplements (foods: Cod Liver Oil, Eggs, Fruit and Veg)
- Helps maintain a Healthy Weight
- Regulates Blood Pressure
- Helps lower MS and Diabetes levels
- Helps prevent the onset of Osteoperosis and Arthritis
- Helps reduce Stress, Anxiety and Depression (how happy do people seem when the sun is shining??)
- Anti Inflammatory agent
- Regulates Blood Sugar Levels (which will in turn help with Diabetes and Weight)
- Increases overall Health and Wellbeing in people
Lots of us are deficient in Vit D – without even realising it, maybe from the foods we DONT eat or just for the simple fact we dont get enough sun/daylight as we should…lets be honest if you are stuck in an office all day with artificial lighting and air con…its not really the ideal way to get VIt D stored topped up. Now I am not saying give up your job and go and work outside…but what I will say is GET OUT whether its on your break, lunch or even getting off the bus a stop earlier….ENJOY this sun and increased hours of daylight whilst you can….because we will all soon complain when its gettin darker and colder. Even if you just get out for 10-15 mins…surely thats better than nothing?
When its cold and dark in Winter the last thing we all want to do is go outside, so we stay all snuggled up in the warm….but gone are the days of that….I know we are having a lucky spell at the moment with the weather, but surely this should make you want to make the most of it all?? As I said before, whether it means just walking somewhere, standing outside on your lunch or even exercising outside…the benefits to Fresh Air are endless:
- Increase Overall Health (as above)
- Lowers Stress and Depression
- Lowers Blood Pressure
- Helps you Sleep zzzzzzzz
- The “Happy” Chemical “Seretonin” is higher in the brain during this time of year…when the days are longer…..so lots of happy smiling people……surely this is a good thing
- By exercising outside – this will provide the body with more Oxygen, that will assist with metabolism and helps muscles convert the sugar to energy and makes the body more efficient _ BONUS!!!!
- Good for the Soul
- Helps us reconnect to ourselves
So what are you waiting for?? Log off your phone and GET OUTSIDE…you never know how long the sun will stay around for….you better make the most of it!!!
Get some VIt D onto your skin, absorb into your body and top up the stores
Breath in the Fresh Air and full your lungs
You’ll be amazed at how FAB you will feel just by doing this….Oh and did I say its FREE!!
The sun has got his hat on….hip, hip, hip HORAAAYYYY!!!
10 Reasons why Online Classes are GREAT!
10 reasons why Online Classes are great!
3. Get the whole family involved
4. Save time (driving/queuing..)
5. Save money (online cheaper than live classes)
6. Back catalogue of classes to rewatch
7. Pause button-if you want to work on a move for longer or nip to the loo-you don’t miss out. Rewind to watch an exercise again
8. Community and communication with instructor and other members and the ability to share your suggestions to tailor classes
9. No need to book-guaranteed access to classes if you are a member
10. Flexibility to do the classes whenever and wherever you like (most of mine are pre-recorded!) and wear your pjs too!
The Story of OneBody Fitness
Im Jen and I am on a mission to help people Embrace their body and overcome any Health, Fitness and Mindset Obstacles and Challenges to finally start loving who they really are from the inside out..every single bit! I offer both Online and Face2Face Coaching on a 1-2-1 and Group basis! Something for everyone no matter what your lifestyle is
Im here to inspire you and to help you realise how amazing you are. Its my mission to help You fall in ,love with who you are over and over again
In 2004 I qualified in Fitness and worked my way up to management
In 2010 – left my fitness manager job and decided to set my business up (big risk I know…bout a risk I had to take as I was unhappy), 10 years later and you see this is where I am. Its been hard work, blood sweat and tears but I am dedicated to helping women lead a happier and healthier life – As I believe that all Women deserve to love their bodies and live the healthiest life they can do
In 2017 my Business changed a little and I have added a more Holistic approach to how I work. I believe in the body as a whole…..physical, emotional and mental body – they all come together and we need to make sure they are all in-tune with each other.
In 2020 we faced the Worldwide Corona Virus Pandemic and I completely transformed the Business to work online…so I suppose you could say I now own an Online Business. I offer 1-2-1 PT, Fitness Classes, Masterclasses and Coaching all via Social Media Channels….this is a part of my business I am excited about and cant wait to continue…it allows me to reach and help more people and I will be continuing with this after this is all over
Fitness is my passion….and now I can add my other passion of all this Holistics and Happiness into it.
I offer a wide range of Massage and Holistic Therapies alongside all the Fitness and Wellness Coaching
I believe we all deserve to live the happiest and healthiest life we can, and I am here to guide, inspire and support YOU on your journey.
YES IM 10 This year! Ive been in Fitness since 2004 and fall more and more in love with what I do everyday
You only have 1 Body Look after it!
Kindness Matters – Mental Health Awareness Week
Next week is Mental Health Awareness Week and the theme this year is “Kindness”
Next week I will be posting here everyday about Kindness, Quotes and just all things about being Kind
I encourage you to be kind to yourself and others as much as you can
I will be running a Monday Pilates Class and my Usual Sunday Meditation and will base these on Kindness to the Body and Mind
The Monday Class and Sunday Meditation are donation based….I will be popping up a link so you can make a donation (no matter how small) to the Mental Health Foundation
I hope you will join me in spreading the Kindness Love next week
Exercise is more than just Physical
Exercise is more than just the physical for people….exercise helps people with their mental and emotional health too and with the gyms being closed this can impact people in so many more ways than just “missing a workout”
For some the gym/exercise is an escape from everything, its a way to feel good on the inside and a way to bring some energy and good chemicals into the body
Exercise has such a positive effect both Physically and Mentally to people and there can be a worry now that now the gyms are gone their Physical and Mental health may take a dip……Id like to reach out to anyone who is worried and let you know I am here to support you in anyway…please drop me a message and let me help you.
I can offer advice for your Physical and Mental health and give you some tips of how you can exercise at home…even for FREE
Please if you are feeling like you may struggle after this news…reach out!
- Move in anyway that feels good…whilst you can get outside and go for a walk – the fresh air and the connection with nature will having so many more benefits
- Dont over think it – any form of movement is beneficial
- Reach out for help – Im here
- Focus on learning a new skill…maybe cooking, recipes or even meditation
There is so much you can do at home and outside to support your Physical and Mental Wellbeing….the gym is just a tool, but you have the power inside to overcome and go for anything that makes you feel good
Take this time to also look inside and reflect on things, maybe the body also needs a rest physically? Or even just a stretch to some yoga? The options are now endless
If you can look outside of the box and see what options are available
Please get in touch if I can help (and if you want to join my VIP Online Fitness Studio…just let me know)